Using the Portable Traffic Signal Unit (PTSU) user menu options is simple. Follow these steps to get started.
The Handheld Remote Controller, or HRC, is a battery-powered device that controls the PTSUs. It is the only way to operate the PTSUs, and is also used to investigate any issues that the system may experience. The HRC uses a menu system. Navigate through the menus using the buttons.
Follow the instructions below on how to use the user menu options on the Portable Traffic Signal Unit.
Using the Handheld Remote Control (HRC)
- Turn on the HRC by holding the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Once the HRC is switched on, you can navigate the menus with the arrow buttons
- Use the Up and Down arrow buttons to scroll between menu items.
- Use the Left and Right buttons to navigate forward or back.
- Use the Enter button to select the highlighted menu item.
- Press the Home button when you want to return to the previous menu.
- From the Main Menu, hold the Home button for 3 seconds to enter Operate Mode.
- Hold the Home button for 3 seconds from other pages to return to the Main Menu.
- The control buttons operate the traffic signals. A PTSU is assigned to each GO button. The STOP button changes the light to red.
- To activate the LCD backlight in low light or at night, press and hold both left and right arrow buttons.
On the Main Menu, you’ll find six sub-menus. The pairing menu is covered in a separate video.
Let’s take a look at the Operate Mode menu, where you’ll spend most of your time.
- When you first enter the operate mode menu, you’ll see a start sequence page, which confirms that both PTSUs and the HRC are ready.
- You’ll then be prompted to choose of the three operating modes. Shuttle and Plant Crossing Mode both require two PTSUs, and use both GO control buttons.
- Gating mode requires only one PTSU, and uses only the left GO button.
- You’re now ready to start managing traffic by pressing the GO button for one or the other PTSU, or by pressing the STOP button, to stop all traffic.
- To turn the HRC off, hold Power and Home together for 5 seconds.
For more information on setting up the Portable Traffic Signal, watch the video below. To view the next video on Hot-swapping PTL batteries, click here.